About Us

Mission, Vision and Values

Quest Mission Statement

Quest Credit Union will exceed member expectations in our commitment to their financial success.

Quest Vision Statement

Quest Credit Union will be the premier credit union in eastern Kansas by providing exceptional service, innovative products and valuable financial solutions. Through tradition, technology and knowledge, Quest will empower and encourage our membership to discover financial success.

When we do our job well, we empower our members to feel:

  • In control of their financial success
  • Proud
  • Knowledgeable
  • Proactive
  • Secure
  • Responsible

History

Quest Credit Union was formed on May 24, 2010, when Credit Unions United and Credit Union 1 of Kansas consolidated operations.

In an effort to better serve both the current and future members, the boards of directors of Credit Unions United and Credit Union 1 of Kansas began talks about a consolidation in early 2009. They found that the philosophies of both credit unions were compatible and the effects of consolidation would be beneficial for each credit union's respective members. In November 2009, a membership vote of both credit unions showed a favorable vote by the members for the consolidation. The combined Boards on the first ballot voted 12 to 1 with one abstention for the new consolidated credit union to be named Quest Credit Union.

At the time of consolidation, Quest Credit Union became the largest credit union in Topeka and the fifth largest in Kansas.

To understand the history of Quest Credit Union we must first look back at the history of the two credit unions who came together to form Quest Credit Union.

History of Credit Unions United

In 1951 Rubber Workers Local 307 Federal Credit Union was established. The Credit Union was first housed at the Union Hall located at 435½ Kansas Avenue and then followed a move with the Union to 1603 N Taylor. Volunteers ran the credit union for the first few years. Erlene Kistler became the first full time Manager and in 1956 Eleanor Price was hired as a part time employee and later became Office Manager and Board Treasurer in 1958.

To better serve the membership, the Board purchased property and built an office on Highway 24 which opened July 20, 1969. In 1971 the Credit Union became “computerized” and Gary Colcher was hired as the accountant. Share Draft (checking) accounts were first offered in 1981 and the C.U.’s first ATM was put into service in 1984. By 1985 the Credit Union’s assets had grown to over $30 million. Price retired in 1986 and Colcher was named Office Manager and Treasurer of the Board. Colcher’s title was later expanded to President/CEO.

The CU continued to serve the membership by offering overdraft protection and in 1992 Visa Credit and Debit cards were introduced. Also in 1992 the Main Office expanded, doubling in size. In 1994 Rubber Workers, along with three other credit unions formed Capital CUSO and opened a shared branch at 37th & Topeka Blvd. A few years later Credit Union Mortgage Services was established along with a second shared branch at 1080 SW Wanamaker Road. The Credit Union ATM CUSO was formed in 1998 and began offering an ATM Network in order to have ATMs available with no surcharge fees for its members. In the late 90s online account access was added to the CUU website. In the early part of the millennium, CUU launched its Online Bill Payment service.

By 2002 Rubber Workers had grown to over $82 million, but was restricted by field of membership rules with its Federal Charter. The best way to solve this dilemma was to become a State Chartered Credit Union and consolidate with Bell Telephone Employees Credit Union of Pittsburg, Ks, a credit union chartered in 1938. The consolidation was finalized on July 1, 2002, and Credit Unions United was born. A new branch office opened in Pittsburg in 2003 at 3204 N Broadway.

In 2003, CUU & Educational Credit Union joined forces and established another CUSO, building a shared branch at 29th & Croco Road.

History of Credit Union 1 of Kansas

Credit Union 1 of Kansas’ history comes from two main credit unions. Forbes Federal Credit Union had its federal charter approved on September 5, 1956. The credit union was located at Forbes Air Force Base in Topeka, KS, and it was created to serve the Air Force personnel of the base. In January of 1973, the Board and management made the decision to apply for a state charter.

The new field of membership was expanded to include all employees of the State of Kansas, Army Guard & Air Guard personnel state wide, Federal Civil Service employees and individuals in the eleven county area that surrounds Topeka.

After the conversion to the state charter and field of membership expansion, several very small local credit unions consolidated operations with Forbes – the State Welfare Employees Credit Union, the Shawnee County Credit Union, the N.E. Kansas Federal Credit Union, the American Yearbook Credit Union and the Kansas Capital Credit Union.

In 1978, Forbes was invited by the Army command to open a branch on the post at Fort Riley. In June of 1976, the City of Topeka issued a building permit for the new main office being built in downtown Topeka at 610 SW 10th. The building was completed in January of 1977.

The second credit union that formed Credit Union 1 was the Kansas Credit Union, initially named the Kansas Highway Credit Union in May of 1949. It was created to serve the employees of the Kansas Highway Department, the Kansas Highway Commission and the Kansas Highway Patrol. Led by a part-time president, Millard O. Wray, who worked as an accountant with the Kansas Highway Commission, the Kansas Highway Credit Union began with one location in the state office building at 10th and Topeka. In the 50s and 60s, the credit union opened small branches in each of the Highway Division Headquarters throughout the state. Locations were in towns such as Norton, Hutchinson, Chanute, Garden City, Salina and Topeka. Operations at these branches were run by volunteer employees who would take the transactions and mail them to the main office location. In 1964, the credit union decided to expand its field of membership to all state employees.

In 1974, the field of membership (FOM) changed once again, broadened to now include anyone who lives or works in the State of Kansas. The new FOM resulted in a name change, becoming Kansas Credit Union. A change of management came in 1977 when Wray announced his retirement and Gary Winkler was selected as the new president. Winkler began his credit union career as a clerk with the Kansas Highway Credit Union in 1959.

In the early 1980s Forbes Credit Union approached Kansas Credit Union and began discussing a consolidation. The consolidation officially took effect on July 1, 1984. Forbes charter was retained and the credit union was renamed Credit Union 1 of Kansas.

After the consolidation, Credit Union 1 of Kansas instituted a unique dual management approach to its leadership with two presidents: Ray Parks, former president of Forbes Credit Union and Gary Winkler, former president of Kansas Credit Union. This dual presidency continued until 1994 when Ray Parks retired and Gary Winkler continued on as the sole president.

In July of 2000, Gary Winkler announced his retirement from the credit union and Mark Bezdek, a long-time employee of Kansas Credit Union became the new president.

In October 2005, Bezdek proposed that he step down from his position as president and step into the newly created position of Chief Financial Officer. Vickie Hurt, former president of Kansas State Federal Credit Union, was hired as president in February 2006.

Board of Directors

  • Mike Lackey, Chair
  • Bobb Collie, Vice Chair
  • Don Frick, Secretary
  • Bryan Vargas, Treasurer
  • Gary Colcher, Assistant Treasurer
  • Brad Deiter, Director
  • JoAnn Goedeke, Director
  • Terry Heidner, Director
  • Gelene Savage, Director

Annual Meeting and Report