Quest Credit Union has a long history of service in Kansas. As we grow and evolve, we are committed to lifelong learning and helping our members discover their own financial success. To assist with the expenses that accompany higher learning, the Quest Credit Union Scholarship Fund was created. Each year, Quest will award two (2) scholarships. For 2014, the first place winner will receive $1,000; second place will receive $500. At Quest, we know that what educates and benefits the community, benefits the future.
Applicants must be either a high school student classified as a senior with a projected graduation date of 2014, or a current or future university/college or vocational/technical student. Both traditional and nontraditional students are encouraged to apply.
If not a current member of the credit union, applicants must be eligible for membership within the credit union. Please see eligibility guidelines online at www.Quest-CU.org.
The scholarship is open to any individual meeting the above criteria and entering a university/college or vocational/technical school by fall of 2014. Applicants must be accepted at a college/university or technical school by August 1, 2014. Verification of acceptance must be provided to the credit union.
1) Applicants are required to submit a written OR video essay. All essays are judged on content, creativity and style. Essays must be the original work of the applicant. Sources, if utilized, should be referenced.
- Content: Essays should address the applicant’s educational goals, the costs associated with and plans for financing higher education, and the ways Quest Credit Union can help meet these goals and challenges.
- Creativity: Essays should reflect original concepts, new ideas and creative stories relevant to acquiring and financing an education.
- Style: This element determines how effectively an applicant communicates via written word and/or video. Style may include: English grammar and spelling, clarity, organization, effective transitions, images (applicable for video), and proper sentence structure.
Should be at least 750 words and should be typed in a readable font. Written essays should be submitted with your Scholarship Application, see requirement #2.
Should be 3-6 minutes in length and submitted via a YouTube account. Scholarship Applications, see requirement #2, should be mailed separately and reference a video submission.
- You will need to have a YouTube account to submit a video essay. To sign up for an account, go to www.youtube.com.
- Upload your recorded video essay to your YouTube account.
- Follow this process to submit a web-link to your video:
- Click Share, then click Email.
- In the To box, type this email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Under Additional note, type your first and last name and the words “Scholarship Video,” then click send email.
2) Complete the Scholarship Application and submit along with a high school or college transcript (obtained from your school counselor or registrar’s office) and SAT or ACT scores. Additional consideration may be given to applicants who participate in community service and extracurricular activities, or who have financial hardships.
Completed Scholarship Applications must be postmarked no later than May 1, 2014, and sent to:
Quest Credit Union
P.O. Box 1128
Topeka, KS 66601-1128
Judging will occur in June 2014 and will be conducted by a judges panel selected by Quest Credit Union. Points based on essay, transcripts, and community activities will be tabulated to determine the winners. All decisions are final. Winners will be announced no later than June 15, 2014, and will be published in the July issue of the newsletter and on Quest’s web site.
The first place award is $1,000. The second place winner will receive $500. Awards may be used to help pay tuition, housing, books or meal costs and will be paid directly to the college/university or technical school by Quest Credit Union. There is no restriction to the type or location of the institution in which applicant’s plan to attend, but the applicant’s permanent address must be within Quest Credit Union’s eligible membership areas.
Winners agree to have their names and photos and biographical information published in Quest Credit Union publications and press releases.
*Immediate family members of Quest Credit Union employees or Board members are not eligible.
Scholarship Applications may be obtained from any Quest Credit Union office, downloaded here, or by calling Quest Credit Union’s Marketing Department at (800) 432-2470.